MaMa’s Italian Stuffed Mushrooms
Wonderful ! Mom could never make enough of these because we would eat them as they came out of the oven.
- 16 large fresh button mushrooms (or 30 smaller ones)
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (can use panko)
- ½ teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup water
- Clean mushrooms by wiping them off with a wet cloth.
- Remove stems and finely chop, set aside.
- Place the mushroom caps in a baking dish large enough to hold all the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Remove casing from sausage.
- In a large skillet, add a tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook the sausage for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until it is browned. Remove the sausage and reserve.
- Add more oil, if needed, then cook the finely chopped mushroom stems and garlic for about 3 minutes, until they are softened. Remove skillet from heat adding sausage, parsley, bread crumbs, and Italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese. Cool slightly.
- Fill mushroom cavity with mixture rounding up tops and put in a shallow baking pan.
- Put water in bottom of pan.
- Bake in a preheated, moderate oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings.