This is a very old recipe that my Mother had written down many years ago. It is very delicious !!
- ½ pound butter (2 sticks) don’t use margarine
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla flavoring
- 2 teaspoons Almond flavoring
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons granulated or powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg yolks, sour cream, almond flavoring and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Sift the flour and baking soda together then add to the cream mixture a cup at a time and mix until blended well.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and then gently fold into the batter.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until cake tests done. (insert a toothpick in the center of cake. If it comes out clean it is done.)
- Clean the strawberries, removing the green stem, slicing them and placing in a bowl. Sprinkle the ¼ cup sugar on top, cover and let sit for about an hour. Stir carefully.
- Chill the cream, bowl and beaters about an hour in the freezer or refrigerator.
- Add chilled cream, 2 teaspoons granulated or powdered sugar to the bowl, beat on high speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted out of the bowl.
- Yields: 2 cups whipped cream.
Serve: Spoon strawberries on top of a slice of pound cake and top with whipped cream.