Cheese ‘Tacos’ with Homemade Real Cheese Queso
This makes a wonderful cheese enchilada, called Cheese Tacos in Texas !
- Ingredients for Cheese Queso
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely diced tomato, drained of juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapenos (canned or fresh) or to taste
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cups of grated cheese, using any combination of cheeses that you prefer, Longhorn cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Mexican cheeses
- Salt to taste
- Ingredients for enchiladas:
- 15-20 corn tortillas
- 2 cups grated cheese
- In a large skillet, on medium heat, melt 1 stick butter.
- Add the onion and cook on low for about 15-20 minutes. Do not brown the onions but let
- them become translucent and get very tender.
- Add the tomatoes and jalapenos and continue simmering until they are very tender.
- Whisk the flour into the mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes on a very low heat, but do not brown. We are making a white sauce. Add the milk and cook on medium, whisking constantly until the sauce is thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Turn the heat down to low and start adding the shredded cheese a half cup at a time, stirring into the sauce until all the cheese is melted. Then add another half cup of cheese, letting it melt and keep repeating process until all the cheese has been added and has melted. At this point taste the sauce to see if salt is really needed.
- You choose which peppers and how much to use to control how hot you want the sauce to be.
- If the sauce is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk at a time until it has thinned a bit. The final result should be like white gravy, not too thick but not too thin. Be sure and add the cheese slowly, making sure to let each addition completely melt into the sauce. By doing this your sauce should be smooth.
To make the enchiladas:
- Soften all the tortillas in a skillet with cooking spray or oil, not allowing them to get hard.
- Place a small amount of the sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish.
- Fill each softened tortilla with a small amount of grated cheese and line the dish with the tortillas.
- When completed, add the remainder of the sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Bake enchiladas just until bubbling on the side of the dish and they are heated through, 15-20 minutes. If you overbake them they will be hard on the bottom so watch carefully!
- Serve with refried beans, rice, guacamole and chips. Enjoy !!