Easy to put together and definitely a favorite for our family. Delicious and feeds a large group. Serves 8-10.
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ onion, sliced
- Water and chicken broth (enough to cover chicken in pan)
- 6 to 8 Corn Tortillas (optional)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 16 ounces Cheddar Cheese, grated (I use about a pound)
- 1 large can Campbell Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 can Rotel Green Chilies and Tomatoes chopped
- Chili Powder
- Place the chicken breasts in a pot, add salt, black pepper and ½ of a small onion sliced in the pot with the chicken. Cover the chicken with water and chicken broth. I use half water and half chicken broth. You can use only water if you don’t have chicken broth. Cover pot and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove the cooked chicken to a platter and allow to cool. Cut into bite size pieces.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a large casserole dish with cooking spray such as Pam.
- Quickly dip the Tortillas into the broth the chicken was cooked in (just to soften a bit). Don’t leave in the broth or they will disintegrate. Line the bottom and sides of your casserole dish with the tortillas. You can leave this step out if you don’t want to use the tortillas.
- Then layer the rest of the ingredients on top of the tortillas in the following order:
- Bell Pepers
- Soup: open the soup can and spread on top of the cheese
- Rotel Tomatoes and Green Chilies: empty the can on top and spread around using the juice from the can.
- Sprinkle the top with Chili Powder.
- Bake 350 degree oven for approximately 30-45 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the soup is bubbly.