French Toast and Homemade Maple Syrup
- 6 beaten eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 10 slices dry white bread (cut each slice of bread into 3 pieces)
- Butter, margarine or cooking oil
Syrup: (makes 1 pint)
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- In a shallow bowl beat together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Dip several pieces of bread in egg mixture, coating both sides.
- In a large skillet, place several pieces of bread at a time and cook bread on both sides in a small amount of hot butter, margarine or oil over medium-high heat till golden brown, adding more butter as needed until all pieces have been browned. Keep cooked bread in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- In a small saucepan, mix the sugar and water together. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for 7 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add maple flavoring. Pour into a container that has a spout.